Friday, June 29, 2007

Julius Lester

The book I chose to read by Julius Lester for this blog is Black Cowboy Wild Horses A True Story. I have know of Mr. Lester's work for many years but never took the time to find out what kind of human being he is. While reading Black Cowboy Wild Horses I had a sense of Tom Lemmons as being spiritual or a horse whisper. I found that I felt this cowboy was almost not human but in essence a part of nature. I was surprised at some of the brutalised happenings, especially the colt stricken by a rattlesnake. I understand how this impacts the story making it possible for Tom to maneuver his horse Warrier to prominence. The scene where Warrier becomes dominate over the heard is interesting as this happens in nature.
I also have read John Henry by Lester. I was introduced to this book in my teachings and learning of the Caldecott books. I agree with another student that said the song "Big Bad John" comes to mind when reading this book.
When I researched Julius Lester I was intrigued about the individual and his life journey. He appears to be a spiritual person whose pilgrimage brought him to the realization that he is a Jew. As always I am grateful for the awareness that ethnic writers bring to my life.

No comments: