Friday, June 29, 2007

The Cat in the Hat

I am not now or was I as a child a fan of The Cat in the Hat. I realize this book helped a multitude of children become readers it just was not something I cared for. I do think it is clever and I know the character of the cat is appealing to children because of his disregard of rules. I watched part of the movie based on the book but found that it too was not for me. I did not buy this book for my children but to my amazement my oldest son, who is autistic, loves this book. He has a reading level of about a 1st grader and this is a book he can easily read. So there you have the proof (in my opinion) that this is a great book for teaching reading.
My favorite book by Dr. Seuss isThe Lorax, which so happens to be what Dr. Seuss considered to be his best work. Our Professor asked was this book didactic? Yes absolutely! I used this book every year for our Dr. Seuss birthday celebration at the elementary school where I used to work. We would read this and then as a school we would go outside and plant a tree in Dr. Seuss's honor. I am a staunch environmentalist and think every politician should be required to read The Lorax.

No comments: