Friday, June 29, 2007

Jerry Pinkney

Jerry Pinkney's illustrations are simply fabulous! He has received the Caldecott, Coretta Scott King, and the King Honors award for his brilliance as an illustrator. He has teamed with Julius Lester, Patricia McKissack, Virginia Hamilton and Gloria Pinkney to name a few notable authors.
I read Black Cowboy Wild Horses which was written by Julius Lester and illustrated by Mr. Pinkney. He used pencil, gouache and watercolor on paper to achieve the beautiful illustrations. In one picture the author tells of the cowboy laying flat across the back of his stallion and would not been noticed by anyone watching. I had to study the picture for several minutes before I was able to make out the cowboy on the horses back. It was really cool. I also love the illustrations in Goin' Someplace Special with Patricia McKissack and John Henry with Julius Lester.
I hold a special place in my heart for Mr. Pinkney as he grew up a special needs child. He has dyslexia and I've read where it was through art that he was able to excel as he was a slow reader (even today he states he still reads slow). Having a special needs child myself I am always uplifted to see someone overcome their handicap and succeed in this world. I have always been in awe of someone with artistic talent as I can barely draw stick people!

No comments: