Friday, June 29, 2007

Caldecott and Newbery Awards

The description of the two awards are as follows:

Caldecott- The Caldecott Medal was named in honor of nineteenth-century English illustrator Randolph Caldecott. It is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/caldecottmedal/caldecottmedal.htm

Newbery-The Newbery Medal was named for eighteenth-century British bookseller John Newbery. It is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children
http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/newberymedal/newberymedal.htm

The question that was asked by my professor is: Is one of these awards better than the other?
My answer would be a definite no. They are both noteworthy in honoring their category. I also feel what a monumental task it must be for people on the respective committee's to have to make such a choice given all that is created each year. There have been some choices I do not necessarily agree with. I find it interesting that this years Newbery award The Higher Power of Lucky, came under some criticism for the use of the word "scrotum". I personally felt this was not a book suitable for the elementary level and in some cases maybe not even the middle school. I do struggle with this thought as I believe it is a form of censorship which I am vehemently against. With that in mind I do wonder if we should maybe consider an award that specifically targets age levels. Just a thought!

No comments: