Friday, June 29, 2007

Caldecott Award Book Tuesday

I have had so much fun with this book. Tuesday by David Wiesner is a great basically wordless picture book. We as readers are taken on a journey with frogs flying on lily pads. The frogs fly through the night in to the homes of unsuspecting people. In one picture a late night eater has the look of astonishment as the frogs zoom past his open kitchen window. My favorite illustration is the one where the frogs are surfing T.V. channels while an elderly woman dozes in her chair. The next day as authorities are bewildered by their findings we see a shadow of pigs flying out of the barn yard.
I love the imagination of David Wiesner and the elementary children with whom I have shared this book loved it also. This is a good book to use for having children make up their own words for the story. When I shared this book during my classes we as a class would make up the story on the fly. It is great to see the imagination of children at work.

No comments: