Friday, June 29, 2007

Caldecott Award Book Rapunzel

The 1998 Caldecott award book Rapunzel by Paul O. Zelinsky is wonderful. When I was a little girl my one of my favorite fairy tales was Rapunzel. Being older than dirt, I didn't have the quality of picture books that are available today. The illustrations drawn from the Italian Renaissance art are superb. The fairy tale preserved for us by the Grimm brothers is one of grief and happiness. I guess that is typical of most fairy tales in general. When I went to college for the first time I got a degree in Psychology and Public Relations. For one of my psychology classes I wrote a paper on the connection between what fairy tales we like are often how we look at life. My dad for example always liked Jack and the Beanstock. He was raised by a very controlling, critical mother. Later in life my dad always said he felt like Jack, he could do no right by his mother's standards. Also like Jack he "hopped on the beanstalk" of life and found many treasures away from home. I always loved Rapunzel and thought it would be cool to have such long beautiful hair. My favorite fairy tale would have to be The Emperor's New Clothes. My mom said that is very appropriate for me because I never was able to keep my honest comments to myself!

No comments: