Friday, June 29, 2007

Caldecott Award Book Golem

Many moons ago I when I went back to college to get a degree in Special Education (because I was sure I could get a job!) I had to have an elective so I chose Children's Literature. My boys were babies then and I thought this would give me some ideas for good books to read to them. I was more than blessed to have Mildred Gwaltney as my professor for this class. Ms. Gwaltney passed away shortly after I took her class but the love of children's literature lives on in me and I'm sure anyone also who had the honor of having her for a teacher. It was that class that made me decide that I was destined to become a librarian. I learned from her the passion of the love of illustrations. I,as my autistic son says, worked on my tail in that class and was ecstatic with the B I received as a letter grade and A I know I have from Ms. Gwaltney's extensive knowledge of illustration.
Having said the above I will talk about the book Golem by David Wisniewski. This 1996 Caldecott award book is truly fantastic. I have shown this book to all my elementary school children as we study the Caldecott books and it has never ceased to amaze the students. The illustrations are photography of cut-paper illustrations. The detail is magnificent. The story I admit is a little above young children's minds but the pictures captivate their imagination. As I have shared this book with adults they too are amazed at the detail in the illustrations.

No comments: